58 Insane Facts About Bitcoin
Bitcoin is a digital currency that has attracted the attention of many people around the world. There is a lot of controversy around this successful cryptocurrency, starting with the undefined identity of the founder of Bitcoin. The mysterious legend is hiding under the name Satoshi Nakamoto. During these 7 years, many people claimed to be the founders of Bitcoin from China to Australia. Still, no one has been able to prove it.
In some countries Bitcoin is banned or illegal (Thailand, Iceland, Vietnam, Ecuador), in others it actually has its own city (Arnhem, The Netherlands).
Should you invest in Bitcoin, or is it a really bad idea? Either way, these 58 insane facts about Bitcoin, prepared by professionals from Bitcoin Play, are worth a look through.
- In the last six months the value of Bitcoin has increased 4 times
- This is not surprising, especially during the last 7 years, when the value of Bitcoin has multiplied by 879.999 times. Now (August 17, 2017) the Bitcoin value is $4,502.66, 4 times more than in January 2017.
- FBI owns 1.5% of the world's Bitcoins
- After Satoshi Nakamoto, who is believed to have 1 Million Bitcoins, the FBI holds the second largest Bitcoin wallet.
- 64% of Bitcoins has never been used
- In fact, the number of Bitcoins is limited to 21 million. It is expected that the last Bitcoin will be mined in May 2140.
- In 2014 Bitcoin prices fell by 40%
- That year the largest Bitcoin exchange MT Gox crashed. The price of Bitcoin dropped by 40%.
- Bitcoin goes to college
- The University of Nicosia, Cyprus was the first university to actually accept Bitcoin for a tuition fee.
Many experts are arguing whether Bitcoin is going to stay or its collapse is close. But one thing is certain; looking at the price changes of Bitcoin right now, it keeps going up.